Non OB related surgical procedures - primary dx

Post here your questions regarding auditing ,coding, documentation, and compliance. Also, join in on the conversation- help your fellow auditors and compliance professionals in the industry.

Moderators: Shannon DeConda, NAMAS Moderator

Non OB related surgical procedures - primary dx

Postby JJones » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello!

A coding situation has come up in our office where a maternity patient needed her gallbladder removed. The surgical coder is saying that she was told that the O codes are not required in this case and she applied non-chapter 15 codes.

My understanding from the ICD-10 Coding Quidelines is that anytime a maternity patient receives treatment including surgical procedures such as this the O codes from Chapter 15 are to be used as the first listed code(s), unless the provider states that it is incidental, not affecting pregnancy. In the particular case this question is stemming from, the provider stated several times about the pregnancy and care being taken due to this.

I have not been able to find anything to support the coder's statement, but likewise only am able to quote from the quidelines.

I know that this is not a very common scenario, but would appreciate any direction possible.

Thank you,

J Jones
JJones

Return to Medical Auditing Forum