Preoperative Consult/Clearance

Post here your questions regarding auditing ,coding, documentation, and compliance. Also, join in on the conversation- help your fellow auditors and compliance professionals in the industry.

Moderators: Shannon DeConda, NAMAS Moderator

Preoperative Consult/Clearance

Postby suebreSPH » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:26 pm

I am receiving conflicting guidance regarding dx sequencing when family practitioners are being requested by surgeons to perform medical clearance for surgery due to chronic conditions. Is the FP to sequence as Z01.81x, reason for surgery, then chronic conditions evaluated? Or, Z01.81x, chronic conditions evaluated, then reason for surgery? ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines, section IV, M. indicates the the former would be correct, but I want to be sure the scenario fits the guideline. Thank you.
suebreSPH

Re: Preoperative Consult/Clearance

Postby shutchins » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Your question has been answered by NAMAS team member Stephanie Allard:

Your second statement of Z01.81- primary is correct. The guidelines state that when a patient is presenting for pre-operative evaluations only the code from category Z01.81- would be sequenced primary.

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Downloads/2018-ICD-10-CM-Coding-Guidelines.pdf
shutchins

Re: Preoperative Consult/Clearance

Postby suebreSPH » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you for the reply. It's the secondary dx order I'm interested in clarifying. So based on your response, you're stating the family practitioner would include chronic conditions evaluated, then reason for surgery for the appropriate order, correct?
suebreSPH

Return to Medical Auditing Forum